It’s that time of year again! Ink Smith Publishing has opened submissions for 2017! Genres accepted can be found on our website: www.ink-smith.com/submissions. We love fantasy, so if you do not see your specific fictional genre listed, we encourage you to submit to us anyway. There are so many fiction genres (particularly hyper-specific genres) that we cannot list them all.
But, please note, we do not accept non-fiction or children’s (12 years and under) titles at Ink Smith. For non-fiction/children’s titles please submit to Native Ink Press. Guidelines and requirements apply to Native Ink Press as well.
Submissions will be accepted January 1 – July 30 each year, with a closed reading period beginning August 1.
- Novellas must be 30,000 to 50,000 words and novels must be at least 50,000+ words.
- No fan fiction.
- No short stories.
- Manuscripts must be polished. No first drafts or incomplete manuscripts.
- Manuscripts that you submit cannot be previously self-published.
- No attachments in the email.
- No manuscripts on first query. *We will request your manuscript if we are interested in moving forward.*
- No non-fiction titles.
- No children’s books aimed at ages 12 and under.
- No submissions from outside the U.S./Canada at this time.
Submit Your Book Query
Please follow ALL guidelines below. Submissions not meeting submission guidelines are automatically rejected regardless of the quality of the work submitted.
- Title Your email: Query, Your Last Name, Title of Your Book
- Cover letter: Tell us about yourself. Please include current address, as we use this to verify that you are currently residing in the U.S. or Canada.
- Story information: Genre, Word Count, etc.
- Synopsis: no longer than 1 page, please.
- Your marketing plan! In the event we move forward with your manuscript for publication, please note that we expect our authors to be active in the marketing of their titles alongside our efforts. Your ideas, opinions and comfort level with marketing tools are essential for us to develop a marketing plan that works for you and your book.
- The first three chapters of your story copied and pasted into the body of the email. (NO ATTACHMENTS)
- Send your query to firstname.lastname@example.org!
As a final reminder: NOT FOLLOWING GUIDELINES WILL RESULT IN AUTOMATIC REJECTION.